Places and Foods, Travel and Food Blog » Blog Archive » Travel Tips for Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
Home » CAMBODIA, Cambodia - Siem Reap, Featured, Headline, Places, Temples / Mosques / Churches

Travel Tips for Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia

21 April 2010 2,261 views 12 Comments

Travel Tips for Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia

I just came back from Angkor Wat a few days ago. Like many first timers, I booked my tour online before I reached Siam Reap. Well, sadly the tour that I had book, was exclusive of Angkor Wat. The reason being was I didn’t do much information about Angkor Wat.

The Real Angkor Wat?
There are more than dozens of temples in Siem Reap and Angkor Wat circuit. Be exact, book Angkor Wat (temple) tour rather than the big circuit tour which inclusive of many temples except Angkor Wat. There’s only one Angkor Wat and many other temples in Angkor Wat circuit.

Entrance Fee

The entrance fee for a day is US 20 and a 3 days pass would be US 40. Get the 3 days pass, 1 day is never enough for Angkor Wat, trust me! The front counter will print the pass with your picture and please make sure you keep your pass with you. There will be people checking your passes in front of all temples in Angkor Wat region. No pass, no entry.

Sunrise Tour

Make sure you catch the Angkor Wat sunrise tour. You should leave your hotel for the tour as early as 4.30 am, reached Angkor Wat around 5 am. There will be lots of people in front of Angkor Wat waiting for the best photo opportunities. Make sure you sit in front of the small lake, the reflections of the temple and the sunrise on the lake is priceless.
Prepare yourself around 2 to 3 hours to venture Angkor Wat. To climb up to the highest tower, please wait until 8 am.

They built brand new wooden stairs, no more steep steps going up. It’s around 72 wooden steps to go up to the highest tower, not much efforts needed. The highest tower open from 8 am to 5 pm.
Dress Code

Do dress in decent, get a scarf or something if you wear a singlet or something that bares your skin. Do not wear a skirt or a mini skirt, if you intended to climb up the highest tower in Angkor Wat. Just wear something decent and do respect this holy site. Knee length shorts are allowed.
Tour Guide Fee
In April 2010, the fee for an English speaking guide is around US 25 per day (with limited hours). The tuk tuk fee should be around US 12 per day (with limited hours). Tour companies will have different rates depending on transportation and how many temples you going to cover.
Another thing that I found that was quite annoying. Many young children will bug you whenever you walk around Angkor Wat circuit. They will never accept an answer “no” and they are everywhere! They will keep on persuading you to buy the books, the bracelets, the post cards, the pricey cold drinks or the many T-shirts of Angkor Wat. Regardless how many times you purchased something from them, they will always keep on coming bugging you. I bought a nice travel guide and a set of post cards from them.

I loved the sunrise tour even though we overslept and almost missed it. The Angkor Wat is a beauty and it worth every penny spent going there.

Thanks for reading!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popularity: 5% [?]

About us, PlacesAndFoods.com

12 Comments »

• Leo (thule) said:

yeah.. one of my must visit place! But sadly Jenn is not really fascinated with the idea of going to Cambodia.. sigh!!
    .-= Leo (thule)´s last blog ..Rak Thai @ The Gardens Mid Valley =-.

[Reply]

Super Wilson Reply:

Not everyone crave for Angkor Wat. My sister not keen on tours like as well. You can always go with your friends. :)

[Reply]

• David @ Malaysia Asia said:

Oh My God….. they built Wooden Stairs and Rails to climb up? That just takes the fun out of visiting Angkor Wat. Wen I was there, it was a challenge to climb up the temple and now they make it easy, I guess so more (thousands) can access this beautiful place. Nice write too!

David
    .-= David @ Malaysia Asia´s last blog ..Tiger Blogfest 2010 – Tiger Awareness =-.

[Reply]

• David @ Malaysia Asia said:

I forgot, if you want to see how I climbed the temple the old school way, check out my Angkor Wat article.

David

[Reply]

• lechua said:

got a tuk-tuk to take us early for the sunrise at angkor wat… (first time in my life to wake up for a sunrise)… maybe my expectations were rather high… i was rather disappointed with i didn’t get to see the golden sun rise slowly.. the sky got bright quite quickly.. was told it’s best at the hottest season ( i think now.. ) when sky is clearest.
    .-= lechua´s last blog ..Penang’s Living Heritage =-.

[Reply]

Super Wilson Reply:

We woke up late and we almost missed the sunrise experience. But we made it on time.

Don’t be disappointed, you can always go again! :P

[Reply]

• Sophia Harrison said:

What is the best website on the internet that provide travel tips to Thailand ?’-.

[Reply]

Super Wilson Reply:

Well I’m not sure on this as well.

[Reply]

• Tweets that mention Travel Tips for Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia | Places and Foods - Malaysia Travel and Food Blog -- Topsy.com said:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Koolred and Asia Web Direct, Wilson Ng. Wilson Ng said: Travel Tips for Angkor Wat http://su.pr/1dcGo8 #angkorwat #travel #siemreap #cambodia #lp [...]

• Nava Krishnan said:

Thanks for the infor and do’s and don’t. I am hitting Vietnam and Cambodia next month with Angkor Wat on the list too.

[Reply]

Super Wilson Reply:

Hi Nava,

Glad you like it, thanks for commenting and hope this will help you for your trip. Happy New Year 2012!

Wilson

[Reply]

• SandaLina said:

Every woman wanted to have sexier and more attractive lips. It is said that our lips are our best asset as a person. Fortunately, quite a lot of products which are being sold online and off-line that can help us keep our lips looking sexy and beautiful. This article will be showing you a top product that is rapidly becoming popular among women.

[Reply]

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: