Places and Foods, Travel and Food Blog » Blog Archive » My BEST Live Football Experience: MALAYSIA CUP FINAL 1996
Home » Events, Featured, Football, Headline, MALAYSIA, Malaysia - Selangor, Personal, Places

My BEST Live Football Experience: MALAYSIA CUP FINAL 1996

30 March 2010 5,509 views 80 Comments

My BEST Live Football Experience: MALAYSIA CUP FINAL 1996

“This blog post is submitted as part of Sony Ericsson’s Extra Time campaign. You can read the other local football stories here. :)

Don’t ever brag about football if you haven’t watch a live football match. I always told off those who loved to brag about their favourite teams. Most Malaysians loved foreign football league such as English Premier League (EPL), Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A, World Cup and Euro Cup. Many of them neglected the local football scene. Me myself is an avid England, Liverpool and Selangor FC supporter.

I never brought up to be a footballer. I wish I have the stamina and power but yet it never deter me to have a nice football game regardless of winning or losing. My last football game will be a futsal game a few years back. Going up in a public high school, I was influenced by our multi racial friends to watch local football. In the 90s, Malaysia’s football was having its peak with Singapore playing in our Malaysian League. Well, I’m a huge supporter of Selangor FC, our local state football club. Selangor FC is one of the most successful Malaysian football club in the history.

My first experience of live football comes in 1995, Malaysia Cup Final: Selangor beat Pahang 1 – 0. It was really an eye opener, though I couldn’t see the players clearly but the atmosphere was electric. Stadium Shah Alam really rocked. The football game ended with fireworks display that thrilled the crowd.  From there, I started to watch live local football matches with my fellow friends. After graduating high school in 1995, me and my fellow local football fan supporters went to our own ways.

We began to lost touch as everyone was busy with their lives. However, in 28th Dec 1996, me and my fellow Selangor FC friends were united. It was the Malaysia Cup Final 1996: Selangor vs. Sabah. Sabah’s Australian player Scott Ollerenshaw was the top scorer in the league and Sabah won the 1996 Malaysian League so Sabah was the favourite to win. Thus, the Malaysia Cup was played in Selangor FC’s homegrown of Stadium Shah Alam with the capacity crowd of 80,000 supporters! Basically it was our version of Barcelona’s Nou Camp.

We reached the mighty Shah Alam Stadium early, avoiding traffic jams. It will be easier to get parking space also.

This was us, me, Liew Wai Hong, Siew Haw Hoe, Steven Ng and Kung. Our friend, Affendi’s mum made the custom made hats for us. Kung and the rest did the custom made flag. We were ready for Shah Alam Stadium!

Got our tickets and it was free seating. The ticket cost around RM 10. We sat in the middle of the stadium, where all the actions were. There were a few confrontations between Selangor FC and Sabah FC supporters. The policemen were stationed so they kept a good eye on them. The tension was starting rising. Everyone were getting excited.

Please click below to proceed to the next page.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popularity: 3% [?]

CLICK FOR NEXT PAGE: 1 2

About us, PlacesAndFoods.com

80 Comments »

• joshuaongys said:

Fuhhhh!!! All the best in winning =D I don’t know will i join or not yet hehehehe still thinking what to write lol!!
    .-= joshuaongys´s last blog ..??? Charlene Choi(?Sa) and Ronald Cheng ???, From Getting Married to Breaking Up to Divorced. Swt! =-.

Super Wilson Reply:

U post already selected dude!

• taufulou said:

fuyoh! didnt know back in those days our crowd of football is like premier league..

i don mind to wtach if the league with those kind of coach..but seriously..our country soccer sucks!

Super Wilson Reply:

I watched Malaysia played Indonesia a few years back. It was still awesome!

• kruel74 said:

I may have been one of the people in that crowd. Ya man, those were the days…But where are my pictures? *looking for it now….
    .-= kruel74´s last blog ..Kuala Lumpur International Book Fair 2010 =-.

Super Wilson Reply:

I’m looking around and I saw u in my picture!

• Kung said:

Some of the best times of my life bro … those pics nearly put tears in my eyes.

Btw, if you’re still a true Red Giant pls do join in here http://selangorfanatik.ning.com/ and add me under the name of Mat Stromsik :]

Super Wilson Reply:

Sometimes, money can buy a jersey or many you want in your life. But the experience we had was priceless. Sorry for unable to open house for u guys this year as I was in Argentina. I hope to see u all soon.

Football is LIFE!

• Jonathan said:

Wah nice writeup! Your 1996 experience looked so fun, hehe dont know when I can experience Live Football also. Hehehe

Super Wilson Reply:

Well, u can join one of the local league game final. It’s still as glory as it used to be.

• Jacky said:

Nice write up on your first LIVE football experience… Good luck in winning those ticket… Remember to belanja me makan if you won..

Super Wilson Reply:

Thanks for the lovely comments

• David VFX said:

Football is not a sport, is a CULTURE! I believe your passion in this will get you the goal that you desire.

Super Wilson Reply:

Thanks for such wise words.

• +Suresh+ said:

Awesome bro!!!those pics look pretty ancient..looks like you’ve been an avid football fan for a very long time..hope you get to live the dream of going to South Africa!!! all the best man!!
    .-= +Suresh+´s last blog ..Invitation: Samsung 3D LED TV Launch =-.

Thanks for the support!

• Jess said:

OMG! u looked so diff back then! hehe damnnnnnnnnn.. speaking of football, i went for the fifa world cup throphy tour .

goodluck!

Super Wilson Reply:

Didn’t manage to go for the fifa world cup trophy tour as I was in Argentina.

Yes, I was slimmer back then.

Thanks for reading Jess!

• Winfred Tan said:

When i saw back this all photos, all my friend are changed already… anyway is a good memory… but you all don’t ask me go…

Super Wilson Reply:

Didn’t know u are a crazy supporter like us. Will call u next time!

• jac said:

wah, from 1996, till now, u can remember every moments…… Bravo…

Super Wilson Reply:

That’s its the best experience. This memory lasts forever!

• Jonathan said:

Hope to see a real challenge soon, our local ones too ‘soft’ :P
    .-= Jonathan´s last blog ..Miss Universe Malaysia 2010! =-.

Super Wilson Reply:

Well, every Malaysian will dream of Malaysia team entering World Cup. Just hope the dream will come true and we have a reason to spend our savings for the sake of supporting our own country.

Thanks 4 comments.

• Jackie Loi said:

Fuah Awesomeness! Football rocks!
    .-= Jackie Loi´s last blog ..My Art Fix! =-.

Super Wilson Reply:

Thanks Jackie! It sure rocks!

• Michelle F said:

Well, I hope that your dream will come true… watching a live World Cup match “on-the-spot” ain’t difficult, you just need $$$… :)

All the best! :)

Super Wilson Reply:

Hi Michelle, thanks for the sweet comment. I wish I have that much of $$$ going there.

I met a Japanese producer from Fuji TV few years ago. He went to France 98 and spent around RM 50k for the whole trip. He told me it was the best thing of his life, I believe him.

Thanks for the comments.

• Serge Norguard said:

whoa… big football fan i see !

Super Wilson Reply:

Yeah, for a very long time de. Thanks!

• email2me said:

Wah the football heat last time and nowadays totally different! Awesome …
    .-= email2me´s last blog ..Hakka and Teo Chew Foods at Restoran Tien Kee Soup & Porridge =-.

Super Wilson Reply:

Well, the league used to be lively because of the high profile star players such as Tony Cottee. Now, I don’t think Selangor has the cash to do such things anymore.

Thanks

• Jung Yee said:

Hey! Great entry :) Football, by far is the greatest phenomenon. It unites strangers, even enemies to have common goals, enthusiasms and even emotions. Hope u can witness the sport and experience the unity of the game in South Africa!

If u go, please pack me along! thanks! :P

Best of luck! :D

Super Wilson Reply:

If u can fit in the luggage, be my guest!

Thanks 4 the comments.

• mynjayz said:

woah now i know why you can shoot me anytime when i showoff about my football knowledge. I know ur better den me because you damn GILA bola wei. lol. and nice write up abt ur history when ur supporting selangor team.

and yes, football does brings people and friends together. =)

thats how we both met !

Super Wilson Reply:

Yes, friends through football. The most beautiful game on earth and football brings friendship. See the connections?

I was a huge fanatic when I was younger. Working now and married is kinda though to watch live games. Well, will make time for it one day.

• Jung Yee said:

ohh, can please write another entry, win another ticket to bring Rachel along? :D
    Start now :P

Super Wilson Reply:

Contest has been closed. Hope the judges will do a fair play on the voting. Thanks

• wingz said:

BESTTTT !!!!

Super Wilson Reply:

Thanks Wingz!! Hope to see u soon in one of those photography session. Thanks for reading and supporting.

• sue me said:

I dont know what to comment but nice pics..hahahaha

Super Wilson Reply:

Thanks for dropping by Sue. Pictures are scanned from old photos. Glad u like it.

• cornelius said:

GOSH! semangat nya… gud luck… FOOTBALL LOVER!

Yeah, thanks Cornelius.

• joey said:

1996 huh… yah, it’s time to check out the real deal! all the best in your competition!

cheers,
    J

Super Wilson Reply:

Thanks for reading and supporting Joey. U r a charmer.

• kellster said:

i like how honest this blog post is. especially the part where you wrote about how people claimed they love watching football but never been to a live match.
    To be honest I’ve never been to one and I do enjoy watching the game on TV. My only live match was when Manchester United came down to KL to play many-many years ago. (not the recent one)

Nothing felt better than being in that stadium catching it live.
    Nothing beats that feeling.

And yes, Malaysians are stereotyped to be lovers of the football game yet not even 50% of our people actually support our own team nor watch interstate matches.
    I am one of them who doesn’t watch either.
    So when I now know that you are one of those people, you have my utmost respect.

Spoken like a true football fan, i can’t imagine anyone else that deserves to go and watch the World Cup.
    Bring home those wonderful experience for us okay? :)

Super Wilson Reply:

Kellster, thanks for the comments. I really hope I can win this, but without the support of you all, it won’t happen. Please vote for me!

• EVo said:

Great stuff man.. Thanks for sharin yo!
    .-= EVo´s last blog ..Behold, my new office toy! Hint : It’s a Canon =-.

Super Wilson Reply:

Thanks Eu veng, thanks for dropping by.

• Patricia said:

wow. nice one.

Thank u Patricia!

[Reply]

• Tweets that mention My BEST Live Football Experience: MALAYSIA CUP FINAL 1996 | Places and Foods -- Topsy.com said:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by EVo Ooi Eu Veng. EVo Ooi Eu Veng said: We know xD RT @Superwilson78: @advertlets Me Me Me!! I'm huge football fan!! >>http://www.placesandfoods.com/2010/03/footballmoments.html [...]

• Ren said:

OLD SCHOOL!
    those were the time eh?
    Thanks to Joshua i also manage to see live match.
    It really different then watching a game through TV screen
    .-= Ren´s last blog ..Zee Avi Live in KL Live, Life Center 20-3-2010 =-.

Super Wilson Reply:

Of course its different. Thanks to Joshua, u went to Old Trafford! My goodness!

My friend read this post and we chatted to see whether to go to watch Selangor for the FA cup but sadly they crashed out yesterday night.

Thanks for reading my friend.

• copykate said:

never knew u could look so young. HAHA
    .-= copykate´s last blog ..JB Tomorrow! =-.

Super Wilson Reply:

What??!!! I’m always young and cute Kate! Thanks for supporting!

• danielctw said:

It’s been 5 years since I last got interested in local football scene. Not like it used to be with David Mitchell, well even tony cottee was playing in Selangor

Super Wilson Reply:

David Mitchell was playing very well. However, Tony Cottee wasn’t up to his reputation. Too bad Selangor crashed out of the recent FA Cup, if not might be going there again. Thanks Daniel.

• DiEsE said:

Super Wilson for South Africa World Cup 2010!!!
    I totally agree with kellster. Even though I’m not much a football fan, there is a HUGE difference between watching in a stadium and watching via TV.
    We are rooting for u!

Super Wilson Reply:

Thanks for the support Diese.

U should go one day and experience the difference!!

• Marko AUS said:

When are we booking tickets Mr Wilson? Croatia is bad and did not make it this time.. Go NEW ZEALAND! LOL

Super Wilson Reply:

Markovic!!! I missed our good old times in Wagga wagga Australia watching our World Cup 2002 live. I also missed u breaking the window in the hostel.

Well, Croatia is not in, but Aussie got in. U watching this time around. Even New Zealand can get in!

• TianChad said:

haha! you looks so young in the pictures~!
    Keep it up big fans!
    .-= TianChad´s last blog ..Yeni’s Surprise Birthday =-.

• JerryTan said:

i don’t like watching football…..anyway when WORLD CUP will be start, end of this month?

• coco said:

all the best to u!!!!!=D~

• nD said:

OMG! That’s you! Classic!!
    .-= nD´s last blog ..??… =-.

• Angelica Rondolo said:

Hello there Wilson Ng, will support you all the way and and success to you on this upcoming event of your life….GO GO GO WILSON :) Will watch it for you, not really fond of football but I’ll do now since you are here…success to you teman :)

• ai wei said:

14 years ago! you can still remember everything ^^
    all these, is best to have it together with friends and close ones :)
    .-= ai wei´s last blog ..Crystal Jade Kitchen ???? @ Pavilion KL =-.

• Jacquelyn said:

All the best in winning! :)
    .-= Jacquelyn´s last blog ..Meet The Sister =-.

• David said:

Good luck bro, I’m sure you’ll win it =D

• Cynthia said:

voted!! and congrats on the top 20!! go enjoy yourself watching world cup if you win ah.. don’t watch other cups around there ok.. :p

• Harry Lee said:

Good luck!!!! all the best!!!

I support Negeri Sembilan, HOBIN JANG HOBIN!!!!

Too bad Selangor crashed out, they were beaten by NS in the semi-final. Maybe next time, haha. :P

And we are in the FA cup final, NS vs Kedah, which is happening this Saturday, and I’m going to the Bukit Jalil Stadium to watch it LIVE.

GO NEGRI!!! HOBIN JANG HOBIN!!! Hantam dia orang kau kau!!!

• Mashithah Maarof said:

Hi Wilson…i’m not a fan of any football team…but my hubby do..(only if N9 won..he..he..& sometimes MU-like my son)in order to support him..i dont mind to woke up at 2pm just to fried for him & friends “cokodok pisang panas” + kopi o kau…Well…just want to hear them “shouting..”…he..he.

• David @ Malaysia Asia said:

Wow, I thought I posted the comment before I left for Shanghai but it looks like it never went through. Anyway, Good luck with South Africa 2010! All the best. I stopped following football in 1998..

David
    .-= David @ Malaysia Asia´s last blog ..Chulia Street Penang =-.

• Mashithah Maarof said:

YES…!!!YES!!!…………Negeri Sembilan WON>>>>>>>>>>
    “HOBEN JANG HOBEN…”………………..(he..he..if LOST…i’ll be…..)

p/s–Harry Lee..WE WON……….WE ARE THE CAMPIONNNNN….

Harry Lee Reply:

Yup!!!! We WON!!!!

HOBIN JANG HOBIN!!!!

N9, Champions of the FA CUP 2010!!!!

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

• Mat Pintu said:

“Don’t ever brag about football if you haven’t watch a live football match”

damn love this quote! u rock dude

GOMO KELATE GOMO! http://rockcintan.blogspot.com/akhirnya
    Mat Pintu´s last [type] ..10 Ciri Suami Idaman Wanita- jua 22 Sifat Lelaki Yg Buat Awek Cair- tambah lagi 20 Perkara Perempuan Tak Shukew

Super Wilson Reply:

Seriously, bragging is shit!

• My BEST Live Football Experience: MALAYSIA CUP FINAL 1996 ... said:

My BEST Live Football Experience: MALAYSIA CUP FINAL 1996 ……

[...]My BEST Live Football Experience: MALAYSIA CUP FINAL 1996 “This blog post is submitted as part of Sony Ericsson’s Extra Time campaign. You can read the[...]…

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: