Kansai Thru Pass Review and Where to Buy?
Many who will be traveling to Kansai on their own will have this dilemma. There are two different passes available for foreign travellers in Kansai, the JR West Rail Pass and the Kansai Thru Pass. We blogged about how to purchase a JR pass in Malaysia last year and you still can read about it at..
So we have a choice, JR West Rail Pass or Kansai Thru Pass? With our research and our experience traveling in Kansai earlier this year, we chose Kansai Thru Pass.
However if you are traveling around in Japan, JR Pass will be a better option.
We travelled in Kansai for 5 days and we purchased the 3 days pass and we travelled from Osaka to Nara, Kyoto and Kobe. Hence, you can also use the pass to travel other cities in Kansai too.
Kansai Thru Pass Types and Prices:
3 Days Ticket: 5,000 Yen (Adult) / 2,500 Yen(Child 7-12 years old)
2 Days Ticket: 3,900 Yen (Adult) / 1,800 Yen(Child 7-12 years old)
Get the 3 days if necessary, the pass will activate based on the day you use not based on consecutive days.
Where to buy KANSAI THRU PASS in Japan – Sources from www.surutto.com
Buy the ticket from the following ticket offices in Japan.
(Access / Opening hours)
* You will be required to present your passport and fill out an application form when purchasing the ticket.
- Kansai International Airport KAA Travel Desk (1st Floor / 07:00 – 22:00)
- Nankai Electric Railway Kansai-Airport Station Ticket Office (5:00 – 23:00)
- Osaka Airport Information Center (1st floor, North and South Terminals / North Terminal: 8:00 – 21:00 South Terminal: 6:30 – 21:00)
- Kyoto Station Bus Information Center (Kyoto Station Karasuma Exit / 07:30 – 20:00)
- Osaka Visitors’ Information Center – Namba (Inside the General Information Center Namba on the 1F of Nankai Building / 09:00 – 20:00)
- Osaka Visitors’ Information Center – Umeda (JR Osaka Station, Central Ticket Gate / 08:00 – 20:00)
- Osaka Visitors’ Information Center – Tennoji (JR Tennoji Station, Central ticket gate / 09:00 – 18:00)
- Osaka Visitors’ Information Center – Shin-osaka (JR Shin-osaka Station East Exit / 09:00 – 18:00)
- Nara City Information Center (Alight at Kintetsu Nara Station / 09:00 – 21:00)
- Osaka International Youth Hostel (Alight at Nankai Hagoromo Station / 06:00 – 23:00)
- Shin-Osaka Youth Hostel (Alight at Osaka Municipal Subway Shin-osaka Station / 06:00 – 23:00)
- PanStar Ferry Osaka Terminal (Alight at Osaka Municipal Sbwy Cosmo Square Station / 10:00 – 16:00 Mon, Wed, Fri)
This the information counter in Kansai International Airport at the departure hall (turn left while exit).
The easiest and fastest way to get the Kansai Thru Pass is while you exit at Kansai International Airport. The travel desk is on the left when you exit from the departure hall.
Some of the travel information in Kansai Thru Pass Guide…
There is an English speaking Japanese lady who will process the pass within minutes. If you show her your passport, you will get the Kansai Thru Pass Guide Book in English for FREE. It will be handy as there are coupons and tips in the Guide Book.
A typical ticketing machine in subway station in Osaka, there is a button for English…
The Kansai Thru Pass is handy and cheap when you travel from town to town. However, it will be cheaper if you purchase one day pass (600 Yen- 800 Yen) if you are traveling in Osaka only. Most stations have signs in English or speak to the officer, they know simple English.
Kansai Thru Pass is a ticket and you can use it in most trains, subways and busses companies in Kansai. In our experience, we used it in Osaka City, Nara, Kyoto and Kobe. Hope our experience can help those who will be traveling to Kansai region of Japan.
Notes for the use of KANSAI THRU PASS – Sources from www.surutto.com
- The ticket is for one person only.
- The ticket holder can use the trains and buses in the designated area during the period of validity.
* It cannot be used on JR lines, airport limousine bus or reserved seat buses. It may not be valid on some routes.
- When using the ticket, insert it into the automatic ticket gate in the direction of the arrow printed on the ticket.
- When using the reserved seat express train of the Nankai Electric Railway or Kinki Nippon Railway, please purchase a separate express ticket, special coach ticket and/or reserved seat ticket.
- The ticket can be reissued at major stations if the magnetic strip fails to function during your journey.
- Tickets will not be reissued when lost.
- Refund for tickets can be issued at the point of purchase only if they have not been used (handling fee may apply).
* Only applicable when the ticket is still valid and all the coupons in the guidebook are unused.
- Tickets will not be refunded for suspended services by a transportation company once the ticket has been used.
- If the ticket is used illegally, it will be invalidated and collected, and additional fare will be charged, according to the regulations of each transportation company.
- Separate fare will be required for journeys outside the valid zone. Please inquire the station staff.
* Please be advised that you may be required to present the back of your ticket on routes operated by some transportation companies.
For the official website of the Kansai Thru Pass, visit www.surutto.com