U.S. Potatoes Celebrates World Nutritious Day with A World of Flavours
Something interesting to share to everyone. Today, Potatoes USA is celebrating World Nutrition Day with the theme “A World Of Flavours” which falls on May 28 with 20 key Malaysian social media influencers whipping up a repertoire of tantalizing and nutritious dishes using U.S. potatoes as a key ingredient, at the TCH Foodworks Culinary Workspace in PJ, recently.
My boys love U.S potatoes and hence we have it in our kitchen 24/7. U.S. potatoes, whether fresh or frozen, are a very versatile ingredient that could inspire a wide repertoire of dishes—from appetisers, soups, main dishes to desserts. In addition, U.S. potatoes are nutrient-dense providing energy, key vitamins and minerals and is more energy-packed than any other popular vegetables.
According to consultant dietitian Indra Balaratnam one medium U.S. potato provides about 110 calories ofeasy-to-digest calories, has zero cholesterol, zero sodium and zero fat. U.S. potatoes are also a nutrient dense vegetable making it a healthy food choice to maintain the family’s health.
One medium U.S. Potato contains 26 grams of carbohydrates (9% daily value) to fuel one’s muscles and brain, and protein to aid in building cells and muscles. In addition, U.S. Potatoes are rich in Vitamin C (30% daily value) which makes healthier meals and play a key role in supporting the body’s immune system.
Ms Tania Lee, a sports dietitian also shared tips on the benefits of U.S. Potatoes for those leading active, athletic lifestyles. “Potatoes can fuel the body and boost sport performance. Carbohydrates are a key fuel for muscles during exercise and for its recovery after one’s workout session hence it is crucial for optimal physical and mental performance.
“Potatoes have 3 grams of protein per serving which are great building blocks for growth and a key component of muscles, ligaments, and connective tissues. Potassium is a mineral that is an electrolyte for muscles to function well. One U.S.Potato gives you 15% of your daily potassium serving, and that’s more than what a medium banana provides,” explained Tania.
At the event, dietitian Indra Balaratnam created four scrumptious and healthy recipes using U.S. potatoes – U.S. Russet Potato Muffins, U.S. Potato Feta & Parsley Croquette, U.S. Russet Potato Green Apple Kerabu and Texmex Style U.S. Potato Skins. Indra explained that these dishes are easy to make and are popular with Malaysians as their flavours are appetizing and easily titillate the palates to serve at any family gatherings as well as for quick meals.
Here is one of Indra Balaratnam’s U.S. Potato Recipes
Recipe Title: U.S. RUSSET POTATO MUFFINS
Description of the recipe: Vegetarian, Gluten-free
Recipe by: Indra Balaratnam, Consultant Dietitian
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ready Time: 50 minutes
Potato Type: US Russet
Serves: Makes 12 muffins
Prep Method: Boiling, Baking
Course: Snack, Appetizer
- 3 medium-sized US Russet Potatoes – skinned, boiled and mashed
- 1 egg – lightly beaten
- ½ cup very finely grated carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped spring onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup (50 grams) shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & crushed black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Very lightly brush the non-stick muffin pans with some olive oil
- Cut the peeled US Russet potato into small cubes and boil in water for a few minutes till they are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain the potatoes and mash it up
- Add in the beaten egg, finely grated carrot, spring onion, garlic powder and cheddar cheese. Mix well and season it with salt and black pepper to taste
- Bake the muffins for 30 minutes until golden brown and crisp around the edges.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before gently taking it out of the muffin pan.
These muffins can be kept in the freezer. To reheat, just put them into the microwave for 40 seconds.
- Nutrition Information (per muffin):
- Calories: 69
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 2g (26% fat from total calories)
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 55mg
All 20 social media influencers put their chef’s hat on and created their own recipes using U.S. Potatoes which reflected the versatility, variety of tastes, scrumptiousness, and simplicity in their creations.
For more information and recipes about U.S. Potatoes, please visit
Facebook: @My Potatoes USA
#worldnutritionday #uspotatoes #uspotatogoodness