Chef Wan’s Peranakan Kerabu Recipe (Prawn Mango Noodle Salad)2 min read
Chef Wan’s Peranakan Kerabu Recipe (Prawn Mango Noodle Salad)
I have not posted a food recipe for a while and I am going to repost this special Peranakan Kerabu recipe by Chef Wan. He created this dish at his home a few years ago during Ramadhan and I took the video of the kerabu cooking demo. Video is as below in HD (High Definition) and the recipe is as below.
Check out the video below.
• 500 g freshwater prawns
• 200 g glass noodles
• 2 mango, 1 ripe, 1 unripe, peeled and finely sliced
• 2 thai lime leaves, finely sliced
• 15 g chopped coriander leaves
• 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
• 55 g crisp fried shallots
• 60 ml fish sauce, see Cook’s note below
• 1 lime, juice only
• 1 pinches sugar
• salad greens, to serve
• 85 g peanuts, roasted and ground, to garnish
For the paste
• 6 red chillies
• 225 g dried shrimps, soaked in hot water and drained
• 2 tbsp shrimp paste, toasted
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• 3 tbsp grated palm sugar
• 2 tomatoes, chopped
1. For the finely pounded paste: put all the ingredients into a mortar and grind with the pestle until they form a fine paste. Alternatively, process all the ingredients in a food processor until finely ground.
- Peel the prawns and blanch briefly in a saucepan of boiling water until they just change colour. Refresh under cold water and drain well.
- Pour boiling water over the glass noodles and soak until softened and translucent. Run under cold water for 3 minutes to remove any excess starch. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the prawns, noodles, finely pounded paste, mango, herbs, fried shallots, nam pla and lime juice and mix well. Season to taste with salt and a pinch of sugar. Add more lime juice to taste.
- To serve, line a serving dish with salad greens, put the prawn and mango mixture on top and garnish with ground peanuts.
Sources of the recipe: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/599679