Guenpin Fugu (玄品ふぐ) in Osaka – The Poisonous Pufferfish Delicacy
The first we visited Japan was in 2012, six years ago with our friends. The first city we visited was Osaka. We went to many places and we saw Fugu or Puffer fish restaurants. We didn’t try back then as it is very expensive. Fugu is a delicate food as the puffer fish is poisonous and only certified Fugu chefs can cut and cook the fish. The intestines, ovaries and liver of fugu contains poison which is 1,200 times deadlier than cyanide. A single fish contains enough poison to kill 30 people and that’s why a price of fugu dish is very expensive.
We always wanted to taste fugu in Japan and we finally tasted it last year after we found an awesome deal from Klook.com. We went to Guenpin Fugu and they are Japan’s number one puffer fish restaurant chain!
With over 96 outlets in the country, Guenpin Fugu is known for their tasty recipes using the tiger puffer fish, the highest-quality fugu in Japan, prepared with their original techniques that are internationally-patented.
They offer four different meal sets at great prices: Guen, Daigo, Tenraku and Guenyaguen, all of which are prepared by highly skilled chefs with years of experience preparing puffer fish – if prepared wrong, it might be your last meal! You’ll also enjoy a hassle-free visit to Guenpin Fugu by booking through Klook’s exclusive reservation service! This means you can plan your itinerary in Osaka and visit the restaurant after you reserved your table via Klook.com
The four sets start from RM 157 or 4,298 Yen. We ordered the Tenraku Set which is priced at 6,588 Yen and the most expensive set is at 9,936 Yen.
There are 4 Guenpin Fugu outlets in Osaka and we listed them below. We chose the Guenpin Fugu Osakakuromon Noseki outlet as it is ideally located in Kuromon Fish Market.
Package Details Inclusive Of:
Meal set for one person and Taxes and service charge
It is Not Inclusive Of:
Items not included in the set such as beverages and drinks.
The Guepin Fugu Tenraku Set inclusive of:
Parboiled puffer fish skin sashimi
Puffer fish sashimi, thin-slice OR thick-slice
Puffer fish hotpot
Deep fried pufferfish meat
Japanese rice porridge
Honestly, the Tenraku Set portion is huge and you can maybe order Guen or Daigo set just to try the pufferfish. For the taste, we believe it is acquired taste and the texture is not similar with the usual fish. This is something new for us and the taste and texture took us by surprise. We are sitting on the fence for this Fugu pufferfish and we will still recommend you to taste this at least once in your lifetime. The Guepin Fugu staffs are very friendly and helpful and the pricing for Fugu is very affordable compare to other restaurants. Book your table now with the best deal you can find online with Klook.com at https://www.klook.com/activity/5136-guenpin-fugu-restaurant-osaka/?aid=602
Lastly, the four Guepin Fugu outlets are as below:
- Opening time:
- Lunch: 12:00pm-3:00pm (last order: 2:30pm)
- Dinner: 4:00pm- 12:00am (last order: 11:00pm)
- Address: 1-1-13, Nanba, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, Osaka. Please check the map
- How to get there: 2-minute walk from Namba Station on Midosuji Line
- Opening time: 5:00pm-11:00pm (last order: 10:00pm)
- Address: Comfort Hotel Osakashinsaibashi B1F, 1-15-15, Higashishinsaibashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, Osaka. Please check the map
- How to get there:
- 6-minute walk from Nagahoribashi Station on Sakaisuji Line
- 6-minute walk from Shinsaibashi Station on Midosuji Line
- Opening time: 12:00pm-11:00pm
- Last order: Lunch at 3:00pm, Dinner at 10:00pm
- Address: 4-17, Doyamacho, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi, Osaka. Please check the map
- How to get there:
- 6 minute walk from Umeda Station on Midosuji Line
- 3 minute walk from Umeda Station on Hankyu Line
- Opening time: 12:00pm-9:30pm
- Address: 1-21-4, Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, Osaka. Please check the map
- How to get there: 1-minute walk from the exit 10 of Nippombashi Station on Sennichimae Line