5 Top Reasons to Consider a Mekong River Cruise in 20234 min read
5 Top Reasons to Consider a Mekong River Cruise in 2023
Are you planning to go on your dream vacation in 2023? Then, perhaps a cruise along the Mekong River is perfect for you. While cruising this majestic river, you will encounter rich history, diverse cultures, and stunning landscapes. In this blog, we’ll explore the reasons why you should book the best Mekong cruise in 2023 and enjoy the adventure of a lifetime.
Copyright: Matthew Barra on Pexels l Licence: CC0 Public Domain
Where Is the Mekong River?
The Mekong River is a transboundary river in Southeast Asia. It flows through six countries: China, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. The river spans over 4,800 kilometers. From mesmerizing temples to vibrant markets, the Mekong River holds a treasure trove of history, culture, and natural beauty, beckoning travelers from around the world.
Now that we know about the Mekong River, let us consider why you should consider a cruise.
1. Enjoy the Many Benefits of Going on a Mekong River Cruise
There are numerous benefits to embarking on a Mekong cruise. During your cruise, you will be able to:
- Immerse yourself in the diverse cultures of Southeast Asia. This will include opportunities to interact with locals, taste mouth-watering cuisine, and participate in traditional customs
- Marvel at the picturesque landscapes, from lush jungles and terraced rice paddies to dramatic limestone cliffs and peaceful riverbanks
- Experience the calm, serenity, and tranquillity of life on the water. This is much different from the hustle and bustle of everyday life
- Visit awe-inspiring sights like the ancient temples of Angkor Wat, Cambodia, the bustling floating markets of the Mekong Delta, Vietnam, and the natural wonder of Laos’ Kuang Si Falls
2. Historical Significance of the Mekong River
During your cruise along the Mekong River, you are bound to encounter many awe-aspiring sights. In most cases, these sights have a deep historical significance. Some of these include:
The Cradle of Ancient Civilizations
The Mekong River has played a vital role in the development of Southeast Asia. The river has given rise to several ancient empires, such as the Khmer civilization in Cambodia and the Lanna Kingdom in modern-day Thailand. These influential kingdoms built iconic temples and cities along the Mekong.
The Uniting Force of the Mekong River
Throughout history, the Mekong River has represented a natural barrier and a vital link between the countries it divides. As such, the Mekong River has played a significant role in shaping history. For example, during times of conflict, the Mekong’s borders have been contested. However, during times of peace, the river has fostered trade and cultural exchange among neighboring nations.
3. Visiting Ancient Temples
A cruise down the Mekong River will take you on a journey through time and space. During the cruise, you are bound to encounter many ancient temples. One of these is the ancient temples of Angkor Wat. This temple is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a testament to the architectural prowess of the Khmer Empire.
Copyright: allPhoto Bangkok on Pexels l Licence: CC0 Public Domain
Another temple that you can visit during your cruise is the Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda. The Vĩnh Tràng Pagoda is one of the oldest and most beautiful pagodas in the province of Tiền Giang, Vietnam. The pagoda was built in 1773 and is a symbol of peace and tranquillity. The temple has several key features, such as beautiful traditional architecture, colorful statues, and a large pond filled with lotus flowers.
4. Sightseeing During Your Mekong Cruise
Aside from ancient temples, there are a variety of tourist attractions that you can visit during your cruise. Some of these include:
- The floating markets of the Mekong Delta. At this market, traders on wooden boats laden with fruits, vegetables, and other goods gather daily to ply their trade
- Luang Prabang is Laos’ former royal capital and a well-preserved example of traditional Lao architecture and colonial-era buildings.
- The captivating charm of Hoi An, Vietnam, with its well-preserved Ancient Town, vibrant lanterns, and rich culinary heritage
5. The Different Types of Mekong River Cruise Options
There are several Mekong cruise options to suit every traveler’s needs and budget. From luxurious, all-inclusive ships to more budget-friendly options, there is a Mekong River cruise for everyone. Therefore, you can find the ideal cruise whether you prefer to focus on a specific region, such as the Mekong Delta in Vietnam, or an extended journey that covers multiple countries.
During your stay on the ship, you can enjoy comfortable accommodations on a modern riverboat. These rooms come with spacious cabins, en-suite bathrooms, and a variety of amenities. During your stay, there will be daily guided excursions to iconic sites and hidden gems. This will offer unique insights into the places visited and their cultural contexts.
Top Reasons to Go on a Mekong River Cruise
A Mekong River cruise is a magical experience showcasing Southeast Asia’s best attractions, including its culture, history, and natural beauty. This article highlights five reasons why you should go on a Mekong River cruise in 2023.